Four schools and four organisations recently joined Wordworks as Ready Steady Read Write partners and attended the Co-ordinator’s Training Workshop in May 2017.
- ACVV Bright Lights is a drop-in centre based in Somerset West that provides basic emotional, physical and social development services to 30 boys between the ages of eight and 18.
- Training and Development Foundation operates on a farm in Kuilsriver. The current programme is run after school hours but they wish to start an educational program in the morning with children under the age of 6 who live on the farm.
- Izakhono Youth Organisation is a community based organisation in Nyanga, offering a positive lifestyle to young people. They work with parents and young children and believe that through education they can make a difference.
- African Legend is a registered non-profit organisation that hopes to improve South Africa’s socio-economic situation by offering educational and skills development programs for children mainly in the Delft and Du Noon communities.
- Jamaica Way Primary School in Mitchell’s Plain wanted to start a programme where parents from the community volunteer their time to assist Foundation Phase learners with their reading and writing skills during the school morning.
- Kleinberg Primary School in Ocean View is currently running a Shine literacy programme for Grade Twos and wanted to work with Afrikaans children in Grade One to improve their reading and writing skills.
- Yeshua Christian Primary School in Heathfield heard about various Wordworks early literacy programmes and chose to start up the Ready Steady Read Write programme to assist their Grade R and Grade One children with reading and writing skills.
- Intshayelelo Primary School in Nyanga recently ran a very successful Home School Partnership programme with the parents and they now wish to introduce the Ready Steady Read Write programme to assist Grade 2 and 3 children with English literacy.
We welcome them to our network and are very excited about working with them in the future!