Since 2005 we have worked in under-resourced communities with those adults best positioned to impact on young children’s language and literacy development – parents and caregivers, family and community members, home-visitors, early childhood development practitioners and Grade R to Grade 3 teachers.
We offer five main programmes, which are used by our network of partners which include preschools, schools, libraries, community organisations, training and resource NGOs, tertiary institutions, education districts and other government departments.
- Through the Every Word Counts Programme, trainers are equipped to train home-visitors and ECD practitioners to strengthen the early learning component of their work with families and caregivers of babies and young children (birth to five years).
- Through the Home-School Partnerships Programme, facilitators are trained to run a series of workshops over eight weeks to empower and inspire parents and caregivers of children aged 4 to 8 years to support informal learning at home.
- Through the Ready Steady Read Write Programme, co-ordinators are equipped to train and manage a team of tutors who support pairs of children for at least six months as they learn to read and write.
- Through the Stellar Home Language Programme, trainers are equipped to train and support Grade R teachers to strengthen their teaching of language and literacy.
- Through the Little Stars Programme, trainers are equipped to offer this resource-based programme to teachers to strengthen language and emergent literacy in pre-Grade R classrooms.
Programmes are sustained through ongoing relationships with Wordworks, including refresher training and events, input and guidance, access to resources and opportunities, sharing of learning, and support for programme monitoring and evaluation. We support a growing network of individuals, schools, organisations and institutions that promote the importance of, and work for, the improvement of children’s early language and literacy, through their association with our programmes and materials.
We develop, produce and distribute innovative, high quality multilingual materials (see Get Resources) to support early language and literacy learning. We invest in public education and advocacy, sharing knowledge and ideas so as to open doors for all our children.